The main tasks of the Department are:
1. Provision of the Federal state supervision in the sphere of circulation of medicines by organizing and carrying out of the compliance checks of medicinal products which are in public circulation to the established mandatory requirements to their quality; control of compliance of the subjects of distribution of medicines to the mandatory requirements for destruction of substandard, adulterated and counterfeit medicines; State control (supervision) in the sphere of circulation of medicines in the form of selective quality control of medicines.
2. Prevention of trafficking to the territory of the Russian Federation of substandard and counterfeit medicines.
3. Organization and supervision over compliance with the rules of laboratory and clinical practice, completeness and accuracy of data obtained during pre-clinical studies of medicines, clinical trials of medicines for clinical use and clinical trials of medical devices.
4. Monitoring the safety of medicines in circulation in the territory of the Russian Federation.
5. Preparation and issuance of permits for the import (export) of narcotic medicines, psychotropic substances and their precursors, highly potent substances that are not precursors of narcotic and psychotropic substances, of human organs and tissues, blood and its components, hematopoietic stem cells and bone marrow for unrelated transplantation, samples of human biological materials.
6. Coordination of international activities of Roszdravnadzor structural divisions, territorial bodies and subordinate organizations to ensure effective interaction with the state authorities of foreign states and international organizations in accordance with established order in the relevant sphere of activities.